Why is respiratory health important?
Breathing has two major functions: to supply the body with oxygen and to expel toxins from the body. Our body demands oxygen, and a steady supply supports the health of the brain, nerves, other organs, and more.
Our brains require the most energy of all of the body’s organs. The brain is the powerhouse of the body, so decreased oxygen will have a total body affect. To help combat respiratory difficulties aromatherapy can be used with bountiful results and benefits.
Aromatherapy and your health
Aromatherapy and the use of healing essential oil originate from ancient times in Eastern culture, but have since found contemporary western application. Aromatherapy uses essential oils to stimulate our sense of smell, the smell triggers connection with matching memories and emotions of the brain. This is also known as the olfactory system communicating with the limbic system.
Aromatherapists believe stimulating particular memories or emotions with essential oils has endless healing powers. Think of a time when a certain smell conjured up a sweet childhood memory or another made you wince because it of a reminder of something unsavory. This is because our sense of smell has to power to revive memories associated with a certain scent, and it can stir us and transform our moods. It can also be therapeutic in nature when the right scent reaches that sense.
Essential oils for sinuses and breathing
The healing oils used in aromatherapy are produced from organic substances like flowers, herbs, bark, leaves, and more. These organic materials are extracted and distilled into essential oils. You can use this holistic health approach when treating sinus and breathing conditions.
- Eucalyptus is commonly used by many to clear congestion and fight inflammation. It can be applied to help with mucus build-up and the opening up the respiratory system. Increased circulation has also been noted with eucalyptus use, allowing for the better oxygenation of blood.
- Rosemary has been shown to have similar affects as eucalyptus. It can be used to help open up respiration, clear up congestion, fight inflammation, and improve blood flow. Rosemary is a more mild option than use of eucalyptus, making it gentle enough for a young child or for remedying minor ailments.
- Peppermint will aid with congestion and headaches. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects of the mint allow for breathing that is more comfortable as the mint opens the sinuses. In addition, the cool and minty aroma soothes the entire system.
- Wintergreen is another mint oil, with very similar effects as peppermint. Applying wintergreen will have an anti-inflammatory and stimulating effect. With mint oils, your breathing passages will be open and soothed.
- Melaleuca has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal qualities. It is often called the “miracle oil.” Use this versatile essential oil to fight off respiratory illness in conjunction with a comforting oil.
Possible Uses For Essential Oils In Respiration
Aromatherapy can be extremely helpful in the treatment of your sinuses and breathing concerns. Explore the many different types of oils, and decide what is best for you and your personal needs. With that knowledge, you will be ready to apply essential oils through inhalation, massage, and ingestion.
You will immediately benefit from a better body and lifestyle. Below we have outlined some common ailments and corresponding treatments.
- Allergies: Apply 1-2 drops of chosen oil on the chest area and reflex points daily. This will help enliven your respiration and combat allergies.
- Cough: Diffuse oil or blend of oils into space around you. Also, apply to chest several times a day to comfort cough.
- Emphysema: Use oil to massage over the chest and throat at least twice daily.
- Nasal congestion: Massage a small amount of oil under the sinuses and nose to invigorate breathing. You should dilute the oil with water and be cautious of your eyes.
- Respiratory infection: Liberally massage oil over chest and throat at least two times a day. Also, apply oil onto the feet’s reflex points.
Sinus and breathing ailments are rather common among many people, especially with changing seasons and allergies. In order to keep your brain and body functioning optimally you can take certain steps to better your breathing. Explore some of the suggested essential oils and formulate the best routine for you. With the right oil or combination of oils, you can improve your respiration and overall health. What will you try?