Cholesterol is a vital part of our health. Without it, we would not survive. If it alone was so bad then why in the world would our bodies create it?
THIS SUBSTANCE is manufactured in the body by the liver and the cells and you might be surprised what all it is responsible for.
- It plays a vital role in brain structure
- Male and female hormones are actually made FROM cholesterol
- It is anti-inflammatory in body
- Vitamin D is made from cholesterol which is critical for calcium absorption
- Digestion depends on proper bile production which is created by cholesterol
These are only a few critical roles cholesterol plays. So then what the heck makes cholesterol begin to act so badly that leads people to believe cholesterol is bad? Cholesterol begins to “act badly” due to sugars, bad fats and toxins. These are the culprits that cause the cholesterol to oxidize and produce the plaque on artery walls. The body in fact responds to the sugars, bad fats, and toxins and will produce more cholesterol to actually help clean up the mess. The body will work very hard to keep inflammation and oxidation down.
So when a person with high cholesterol goes on a statin drug without actually getting to the CAUSE of the problem it can cause very serious health issues. In fact, this can actually cause worsening heart disease, stroke, hormone imbalances, vitamin d deficiencies and more. The list of side affects from statin drugs is overwhelming! The way statin drugs basically work is they destroy an enzyme in the liver responsible for the production of cholesterol. Coenzyme Q10 is a critical antioxidant in the body and anyone who is on a statin drug MUST take a CoQ10 supplement to help decrease the side affects of the medications. I of course recommend addressing the underlying cause of the high cholesterol instead.
REMOVE THESE FROM YOUR DIET
- Sugar and refined carbohydrates – Both stimulate the liver to produce more cholesterol and increase inflammation.
- Alcohol – Also stimulates the liver to produce more cholesterol, increasing cholesterol levels and inflammation. A glass of red wine per day may be cardioprotective, but anything more than that will increase your cholesterol.
- Hydrogenated/ Partially hydrogenated fats – Vegetable oils(Canola etc) are pro-inflammatory and may increase cholesterol.
- Caffeine – Too much caffeine can increase cholesterol. Limit coffee or tea to no more than 1-2 cups per day
- Trans fats – Increases LDL cholesterol, inflammation, and risk of cardiovascular disease.
ADD THESE TO YOUR DAILY LIVING
- Omega-3 fats – Foods high in omega-3 fats can help increase HDL cholesterol and reduce risk of cardiovascular disease. Raw nuts and seeds, wild caught/pacific fish and Omega 3 Supplements(be sure clean pure source)
- Foods high in soluble fiber – Soluble fiber binds cholesterol in the digestive system causing it to be excreted by the body. Include plenty of fruits, vegetables, sprouted nuts and seeds and other fiber rich foods.
- Olive oil, Coconut Oil – Helps raise HDL cholesterol.
- Garlic and onions – These two cholesterol reducing foods help lower LDL cholesterol because of their sulfur containing compounds which help cleanse the arteries.
- Herbs – Add a variety of spices such as basil, rosemary and turmeric to your food which contain antioxidants that are cardio-protective and help lower cholesterol naturally. Organic Red Yeast Rice supplementation
- High Antioxidants- Oxidation requires “anti’ oxidants to repair the damage. The highest level of antioxidant can be found in Ningxia Juice. The darker, deeper color of a fruit the higher the antioxidant it is.
- Essential Oils to support cardiovascular health: Lavender, Frankincense, Stress Away to name a few.
Along with changing your lifestyle, the other important step to take in addressing cholesterol is to detox! There are several detoxification programs that might be right for you. I HIGHLY recommend meeting with a health care professional to discuss these options. Not everyone is READY for detox and can actually be dangerous if not done correctly.
In a nut shell, the KEY to becoming healthy is to address the underlying CAUSE to why your body is having symptoms. SCHEDULE TODAY to take the first step towards addressing your health naturally!